Kirkwood CPU Freq driver

Andrew Lunn andrew at lunn.ch
Tue May 28 17:51:26 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:36:13PM +0100, Adam Baker wrote:
> On 26/05/13 19:05, Jason Cooper wrote:
> >>
> >>Thanks for testing this. I must admit, i never tested it once the
> >>first rc came out. I clearly should of, because its broken. It was a
> >>three part patch series, and only part 1/3 made it in. Hence the
> >>issues you are seeing.
> >>
> >>Jason, please can you pick up:
> >>
> >>https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2051401/
> >>https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2080931/
> >
> >Yep, got them in now.  Sorry for the mix up.
> >

> I've now tested with the first of these patches applied and the
> changes from the second added to my .config
>
> To get it to work I had to follow the instructions in the
> Documentation to add the cpus entry to kirkwood.dtsi so I'll post
> that as a patch in a day or two but after doing that I have a
> working cpufreq driver.

Great that you got it working. Something must of changed in the
generic code, since originally a cpu node was not required.

The clocks are not needed in node, so please don't list them.

> Measuring the power consumption of my NAS server I observed a slight
> reduction in power consumption when the clock rate was reduced. I
> haven't yet measured for long enough to get an accurate measurement
> but it looks like maybe 1/4 W power saving.

I don't have a killawatt meter etc, so i had no idea how much power it
actually saves.  Thanks for the figure.

	 Andrew