[RFC] Add .dts file for Netgear ReadyNAS 102

Ezequiel Garcia ezequiel.garcia at free-electrons.com
Wed Jul 3 09:00:55 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:42:03AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 20:23:12 -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
>
> > I wish I could say I'm going to work on this soon but, as Thomas said,
> > we have no idea when/if NAND will be prioritized.
> >
> > On the other side if you look at the driver Willy just posted, merging
> > the juicy stuff into pxa3xx-nand driver is not for the faint of heart.
> >
> > Without the spec, is only tougher.
> >
> > Just a quick hint. As far as I can recall, one of the first items in a
> > TODO list should be:
> >
> >  * adding bigger page support to pxa3xx (4 KiB, 8 KiB).
> >    Willy's posted driver might be helpful to accomplish this;
> >    provided your eyes don't melt when you look at it :-)
> >
> >  * once the above is done, bad block management can/should be added.
> >
> > With these two we're almost there for R/W support.
>
> Wasn't also part of the TODO-list to make pxa3xx_nand divorce from the
> PXA-specific DMA API, and use instead the PXA dmaengine driver, through
> the DMA engine API? As far as I remember, this was one of the
> prerequisite to be able to re-use the driver in a non-PXA context.
> There is a patch that was floating around doing this conversion (I
> could dig the relevant link if needed), but of course it needs to be
> tested, and we don't have PXA3xx hardware, so making changes to this
> driver without breaking it is quite tedious.

Well that conversion is not *strictly* needed to get R/W support.
AFAICR, you just need to add some nasty ifdefs around the
mach-pxa-specific headers.

The conversion you mention is needed to have DMA on platforms
other than pxa.

--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering