[GIT PULL] Kirkwood: board changes for v3.7

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Sep 5 19:58:46 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Jason Cooper <jason at lakedaemon.net> wrote:
> Olof,
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:34:35PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 08:11:29PM -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
>> > The following changes since commit 0d7614f09c1ebdbaa1599a5aba7593f147bf96ee:
>> >
>> >   Linux 3.6-rc1 (2012-08-02 16:38:10 -0700)
>> >
>> > are available in the git repository at:
>> >   git://git.infradead.org/users/jcooper/linux.git boards-for-v3.7-v2
>>
>> Hmm, this branch contains one duplicate patch due to me applying one
>> straight to our fixes branch ("ARM: Kirkwood: Fix 'SZ_1M' undeclared here
>> for db88f6281-bp-setup.c"). I also didn't see that mentioned in the pull
>> request below, so I'm guessing you added it afterwards. There are also a
>> couple of merge conflicts with other fixes we have already pulled in from
>> you, it'd be nice if you just based this branch on those fixes instead.
>>
>> Also, I wonder if I could have you split up this branch a bit more? My
>> suggestions are below. You can have branches build on top of each other where
>> there are dependencies, just please point them out when you send the pull
>> requests.
>>

>> Let me know if I'm unclear or if there's something that doesn't make sense,
>> I'll be happy to help.
>
> No problem, but I do have one question.  Say I have two branches,
>
>         fixes
>         dt
>
> And then a 'board' patch depends on stuff in both fixes and dt.  If I base
> the board branch on fixes, do I 'git merge' the dt branch, 'git
> cherry-pick' the dependency (what I did before), or something else I'm
> not aware of?

Merge is the way to go, otherwise you will have new commits with the
same contents in the new branch.

> I've avoided 'git merge' up till now because it creates a merge commit,
> which feels wrong.  Perhaps I'm wrong here?

It depends on what phase of development you're in, but for something
like this it's the perfectly sane thing to do. There's nothing wrong
with a few merge commits to bring in dependencies, etc.

> All the branch assignments look good, assuming I can figure out the
> above question.

Sounds good. I think the above is a sufficient answer but let me know
if you disagree. :-)

>> >       arm: plat-orion: use 'void __iomem *' in addr-map code
>>
>> Hmm, I would prefer if the actual constants were annotated instead of cast in
>> the code here. See how we handled that on tegra with IOMEM(). That will also
>> help sparse catch unannotated uses of those constants.
>>

> I'll ask Thomas if he can redo this one.

Thanks!

-Olof