Query about: ARM11 MPCore: preemption/task migration cache coherency

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Thu May 31 02:56:04 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 06:51:22AM +0100, bill4carson wrote:
> On 2012年05月31日 13:19, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> >>
> >> The story goes like this:
> >> function "flush_dcache_page" should be global effective
> >> but in ARMv6 MPCore, it was not, it was just local effective due
> >> to hardware design.
> >
> > Yes, I know this.
>
> Then, why not fix "flush_dcache_page" to make it globally effective?

Performance?

And it's also just ARM11MPCore microarchitecture specific.

> >> This may cause error in some cases for example:
> >>
> >> 1) Task running on Core-0 loading text section into memory.
> >>    It was preempted and then migrate into Core-1;
> >
> > BTW, do you have CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled?
> >
> Yes, CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled. Thus cause the task was preempted. :-)

I told you that CONFIG_PREEMPT is not supported on ARM11MPCore :).

> > To be clear - is your application reading some data from flash and
> > trying to execute or it's the kernel doing the load via the
> > page/prefetch abort mechanism?
>
> In my current case, it is yaffs root file system.
>
> > If the latter, task running on core 0 gets a prefetch abort when
> > trying to execute some code. The kernel reads the page from flash (via
> > mtd, block layer, VFS) and copies it into RAM. It can be on any CPU as
> > long as it calls flush_dcache_page on the same CPU that copied the
> > data.
> >
> > No matter where the task was running or migrated to, if the code doing
> > the copy also called flush_dcache_page() on the same core, there is no
> > data left in the D-cache for that page.
>
> Yes, I agree with it.
> But how to flush the data cache on the same core with PREEMPT enabled?

That's not easily possible. But you may get better results with
VOLUNTARY_PREEMPT.

> And, I think according to the design, there is no such operation that
> guarantee it.

RFO/WFO tricks only work on ARM11MPCore.

> But any way, I think flush_dcache_page should be global effective.
> If ARMv6 MPCore didn't make it, we should try to accomplish it.

Do some performance tests first.

--
Catalin