Query about: ARM11 MPCore: preemption/task migration cache coherency

bill4carson bill4carson at gmail.com
Thu May 31 01:51:22 EDT 2012

On 2012年05月31日 13:19, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On 31 May 2012 13:06, bill4carson<bill4carson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2012年05月31日 11:58, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>>> I still didn't fully understand what the problem is. So, to make sure,
>>> if you run some applications from flash using a yaffs filesystem, you
>>> get random crashes. Is this correct? If yes, a solution is to actually
>>> call flush_dcache_page() on the CPU that does the page copying from
>>> flash into RAM, which could be the yaffs filesystem.
>>
>> The story goes like this:
>> function "flush_dcache_page" should be global effective
>> but in ARMv6 MPCore, it was not, it was just local effective due
>> to hardware design.
>
> Yes, I know this.

Then, why not fix "flush_dcache_page" to make it globally effective?

>> This may cause error in some cases for example:
>>
>> 1) Task running on Core-0 loading text section into memory.
>>    It was preempted and then migrate into Core-1;
>
> BTW, do you have CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled?

Yes, CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled. Thus cause the task was preempted. :-)

> To be clear - is your application reading some data from flash and
> trying to execute or it's the kernel doing the load via the
> page/prefetch abort mechanism?

In my current case, it is yaffs root file system.

> If the latter, task running on core 0 gets a prefetch abort when
> trying to execute some code. The kernel reads the page from flash (via
> mtd, block layer, VFS) and copies it into RAM. It can be on any CPU as
> long as it calls flush_dcache_page on the same CPU that copied the
> data.
>
> No matter where the task was running or migrated to, if the code doing
> the copy also called flush_dcache_page() on the same core, there is no
> data left in the D-cache for that page.

Yes, I agree with it.
But how to flush the data cache on the same core with PREEMPT enabled?
And, I think according to the design, there is no such operation that
guarantee it.

>> 2) On Core-1, this task continue loading it and then
>>    "flush_dcache_page" to make sure the loaded text section write
>>    into main memory.
>
> The flush_dcache_page() must be called by the code doing the copy. If
> that copy happened on core 0, the call is done there and not where the
> task migrated. We don't do lazy flushing on ARM11MPCore.

WHY?

>> 3) Task tend to the loaded text section and running it.
>>
>> If the "flush_dcache_page" was not global effective,
>> there maybe data still in Core-0's data cache, not write
>> into main memory. Thus in step 3, error instruction maybe
>> fetched thus cause strange error.
>
> This can only happen if you have either preempt enabled (so that the
> kernel code doing the copy is migrated) or the mtd driver or fs do not
> call flush_dcache_page().

PREEMPT + MTD root file system. :-)

But any way, I think flush_dcache_page should be global effective.
If ARMv6 MPCore didn't make it, we should try to accomplish it.

--
Love each day!

--bill