linux-next failure on tegra due to conflicts between PPI and irq domain patches and irq.h->module.h include removal

Paul Gortmaker paul.gortmaker at windriver.com
Wed Oct 26 10:27:57 EDT 2011

On 11-10-25 06:01 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Rob Herring <robherring2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Olof,
>>
>> On 10/25/2011 04:48 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Looks like Marc added new references to irq_start in his PPI patch,
>>> and Rob removed it in parallel. Also, irq_offset is no longer
>>> available. Looks like you need to respin your patch, Marc.
>>>
>>> arch/arm/common/gic.c: In function 'gic_dist_init':
>>> arch/arm/common/gic.c:290: error: 'irq_start' undeclared (first use in
>>> this function)
>>> arch/arm/common/gic.c:290: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
>>> reported only once
>>> arch/arm/common/gic.c:290: error: for each function it appears in.)
>>> arch/arm/common/gic.c:296: error: 'struct gic_chip_data' has no member
>>> named 'irq_offset'
>>
>> I fixed this and sent a pull request yesterday to Arnd.
>
> Ah, oops, forgot to check for already-posted-patches. :) Excellent.
>

>>> The second error is because of the change from Paul that removes
>>> module.h from irq.h:
>>>
>>> arch/arm/common/gic.c: In function 'gic_init':
>>> arch/arm/common/gic.c:620: error: 'THIS_MODULE' undeclared (first use
>>> in this function)
>>>
>>> Looks odd that I should need to include module.h on my own just to use
>>> irq defines. Paul?
>>>

>> THIS_MODULE is needed by irq.h itself in irq_alloc_descs, so it probably
>> needs to be added back.
>
> Well, the new export.h that defines THIS_MODULE probably needs to be
> added to irq.h, yes.

No.  The whole point of the commit was to avoid nested includes
as per the commit log:

    Also convert the irq_alloc_descs variants to macros, since all
    they really do is is call the __irq_alloc_descs primitive.
    This avoids including export.h and no debug info is lost.

If your file is relating to modular usage such that it is a modular
provider of interrupt sources and hence uses "THIS_MODULE", then it
will need export.h in the future. And that macro has nothing whatsoever
to do with any irq defines; it is used all over the kernel to tie
structures back to a (possibly modular) code block, just as per the
use case here in irq.h is.

Thanks,
Paul.