[PULL] i.MX

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Oct 7 16:30:18 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 04 October 2011, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> Please pull the following for next. There are merge conflicts between
> the cleanup and the features branch, so I decided to merge them together
> so you don't have to handle the conflicts yourself. Please let me know
> if this is ok for you or if we have to find another solution.

Hi Sascha,

it took me a while to figure out what you are doing here, but I think I've
made it in the end. I recreated the imx/cleanup and imx/devel branches
from the commit you sent me and made sure everything was still there, then
did the merge again and took the conflict resolution that you had
provided.

I also recreated the next/devel branch to have a cleaner history with
the same contents after that.

I also took out the ata stuff into a separate branch, and will decide
later if I submit that before the rest or as part of the devel branch.

Please check if the branch contents are ok for you now and if the for-next
branch work for you.

I've been thinking about these dependencies a bit more in general. I
think a good solution is how Tony does it for the omap branches:
There are lots of feature branches and he sends the bigger ones
individually to me instead of one big 'devel' branch, so I can decide
how to group them with other stuff (e.g. your ata changes can go
into a driver branch). Any significant cleanups go *first* in each
branch in order to avoid having to do a merge between feature and
cleanup branches for the conflict resolution. There are (at least)
two ways to get there, I don't mind which one you prefer:

1. Apply all cleanups into one branch, then start each feature branch
from the latest (at that time) version of the cleanup branch.
2. Keep the cleanups local to the feature branches, but have them
first in each branch. Then create the global cleanup branch by
merging the cleanup parts of each branch together.

In the end, the thing I'm interested in is being able to reasonably
argue stuff like:
a) This branch contains only cleanups. The number of lines changed
may be huge, but you can easily tell from each commit that the
code quality is improving throughout the branch.
b) This is a feature branch. We've tried our best to keep each
feature as clean and small as possible and from the commits
it is clear to see why these changes are necessary in order to
make progress.

When you get to a point where you have to do a manual merge between
branches because there was no easier solution, I generally want
to be the person to do the merge. If the merge is nontrivial,
I certainly like to see a branch that contains the resolution
that you ended up with, so I can do the same, but I also want to
understand what you do, and that is easier if I get individual
branches.

I hope that explanation helps.

Thanks,

	Arnd