Fwd: [RFC] MMC: error handling improvements

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Wed Mar 2 05:12:44 EST 2011

Thanks for writing back Murali!

2011/3/1 Murali Krishna Palnati <palnatim at codeaurora.org>:

> Though the bulk of the MSM SDCC controller is designed around PL180, there
> are still some modifications to include flow control, SDIO support,

We have these fixes in the U300/Ux500 version of MMCI as well, I suspect
it's nothing more than altering which bits are to be poked into which
registers.

> Data
> Mover interface (DMA engine on Qualcomm MSMs) etc. Support/ability to talk
> to the Data Mover is one of the main differences when compared to original
> PL180 prime cell.

The main work would be to switch the DMA engine in MSM to using
the DMA engine in drivers/dma. This is one thing we do to avoid the
proliferation of DMA engine code in arch/arm/*, and we very early
started to use that framework for U300 and Ux500 and I must say that
it has payed off well for us, now we have much nicer interfaces and more
review than any of the custom engines under arch/arm/*.

It's some upfront work but I think it would benefit you if you could
do this.

Yours,
Linus Walleij