i.MX consolidation patches

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Jun 22 11:23:45 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 22 June 2011, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> I don't think you're _thinking_.  If you issue 'make uImage', how is the
> kernel configuration stuff to know that it should not enable multiple
> platforms which would make building a uImage technically impossible
> (and lead to the created uImage being non-bootable on some of those
> platforms.)
>
> The answer is: you can't.
>
> The best we can do is if the configuration encounters this problem, then
> fail to build a uImage.  If that concerns you, then don't ask the kernel
> to build an inherently fragile boot loader format in the first place.

Ok, I see.

I still need to learn about a lot of ways in which ARM differs from
other architectures I've worked with. I was thinking of
CONFIG_DEFAULT_UIMAGE on powerpc, which causes the uimage to be built
as a default make target.

Since ARM doesn't have that option, this obviously isn't a problem
for randconfig builds.
Sorry for the noise.

	Arnd