i.MX consolidation patches

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Jun 22 11:22:51 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:58:28PM +0200, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 10:03:21AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > That's rather my point: PATCH_PHYS_TO_VIRT=y does not mean that the
> > uImage is unbootable - it's only unbootable if the uImage has a
> > load/start address which is invalid for the platform.
> >
> > So, maybe the idea of changing LOADADDR is better.  Or maybe providing
> > Makefile.boot with a new variable 'nouimage' which can provide the
> > same functionality - and you may wish to provide LOADADDR on the command
> > line and detect that, in which case it should override this lockout.
>
> Then I have the same problem in my platform because I have no clear
> condition on which to set this variable. Currently there is no "more
> than one zreladdr" indicator. Maybe a variant of the following patch
> is the least of all evils. A mechanism to specify the load address on
> the command line could be added.

I think your patch looks good so far, but with one exception - we probably
want to detect off LOADADDR so that we can override it by passing
'make uImage LOADADDR=blah'.  That would allow uImage's to be generated
without having to learn all the silly the mkimage command line arguments.

The other issue here is that having multiple words in ZRELADDR without
AUTO_ZRELADDR enabled in the decompressor is going to lead to decompressor
link time errors - so that's something else which needs thinking about.
(Do you ensure that it's already set somehow?)