cannot fetch arm git tree

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at
Fri Jan 21 10:25:44 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 02:50:26PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 03:28:14PM +0100, Detlef Vollmann wrote:
> > It seems to be an implementation of the git protocol using
> > HTTP as transport.
> > Some info on this is at <>.
> Setting up Smart HTTP
>    To set it up, it■s best to walk through the instructions on the
>    `git-http-backend` documentation page. Basically, you have to install Git
>    v1.6.6 or higher on a server with an Apache 2.x webserver (it has to be
>    Apache, currently - other CGI servers don■t work, last I checked). Then
>    you add something similar to this to your http.conf file:
>  SetEnv GIT_PROJECT_ROOT /var/www/git
>  ScriptAlias /git/ /usr/libexec/git-core/git-http-backend/
> Great.  Deciding that it will be is
> really damned annoying as that's traditionally where gitweb lives,
> which requires a different script alias.
> It seems that due to a lack of coordination between different git
> developers, people running webservers have a choice between providing
> gitweb or this http extension.
> I'm really not interested in working out how to bodge this into working
> along side the existing gitweb setup by adding lots of rewrite rules, so
> as gitweb got there first I think it has priority, that's what we have
> and we'll have to live without the smart http extensions.
IIRC it's designed to live along side the http:// clone url.
git-http-backend can still serve dumb http clients including a web
But note that as git-http-backend less info it has to calculate much
more.  So the load it introduces should be comparable to running
git-daemon as should be the times to fetch from it.  So AFAIK the only
reason to run it is that more corporate users can access port 80.

Best regards

Industrial Linux Solutions                 |  |