cannot fetch arm git tree

Miles Bader miles at gnu.org
Mon Jan 24 00:01:43 EST 2011

Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> writes:
> I'm really not interested in working out how to bodge this into working
> along side the existing gitweb setup by adding lots of rewrite rules, so
> as gitweb got there first I think it has priority, that's what we have
> and we'll have to live without the smart http extensions.
> It's really not that big a deal if you follow the advice I've given.

Smart http is actually a very big deal -- the old git http protocol is
almost unusable in practice with big repos, at least over somewhat
latency-limited network connections.

If you don't intend to support people pulling over http, then maybe you
don't care.  But if you do care, it's very much worth a second look.

[My personal reason for caring is that I'm behind a corporate firewall
that's latency limited, although it seems to have pretty good bandwidth.
With some public repos, pulling via the old http protocol was a
multi-hour operation; the new http protocol is typically multiple orders
of magnitude faster in these cases.]

-Miles

--
Omochiroi!