When does mach-types get updated in a tree?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Feb 28 10:11:00 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 07:35:57AM -0700, John Linn wrote:
> What is your suggestion to people with regards to patches that need the
> update?

The only suggestion I can make is: don't wait until the last minute before
putting something into the machine registry, because you will get into
these kinds of problems.

If I do an update now, it'll be the second time it's happened in February.
It's likely it will need another update just before the merge window too
in 3-4 weeks time.

So really all that I can say is that people need to ensure that they get
stuff from the machine registry earlier rather than later.

I do think we're heading for a major problem with the mach-types file
becoming too big inspite of its brevity.  I think I may start marking
entries as 'inactive' and therefore omitted from the kernel's tree if
they don't appear in mainline within one year of being allocated (or
some similar rule.)

> I'm open to suggestions, just trying to work with everyone the best way
> to get Xilinx patches into the system.

The only thing I can think is to wait a couple more weeks and I'll see
about doing an update mid-March.  Maybe by then we can have a smaller
file...