"Porting the Linux Kernel to a New ARM Platform", updated...?

Nick Pelling nickpelling at nanodome.com
Sat Feb 5 04:59:35 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

At 08:31 03/02/2011 -0600, Steve Chen wrote:
>I took a quick look at the document.  Much of the information still
>applies to the latest kernel.  The biggest change that I can see is
>that the directories were moved and files renames.  For example
>
>arch/arm/deconfigs/ is now arch/arm/configs
>config.in is now Kconfig
>include/asm-arm/arch-xxx is moved to arch/arm/mach-xxx/include
>
>By the way, include/asm is a symlink points to
>include/asm-arm/arch-xxxx in the older kernels.  The link is created
>by the make.  If I were to get Linux to boot on a new board, I would
>start by looking at code for a similar target with the same SoC.

Thanks, Steve, very helpful. I also got an off-list message from
Wookey, who said of his document that...

"more recent docs have been written superseding much of what is in
there (e.g Vince Sanders' booting the kernel doc:
http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/SWLINUX/files/booting_article.html#
but which is about to be finally outdated by devicetree possibilities)"

He also suggested http://free-electrons.com/doc/kernel-porting.pdf as
likely to be useful.

Cheers, ....Nick Pelling....