"Porting the Linux Kernel to a New ARM Platform", updated...?

Steve Chen schen at mvista.com
Thu Feb 3 09:31:04 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Nick Pelling <nickpelling at nanodome.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been looking for a good source of information on getting Linux working
> on a new ARM target, including a checklist of things to cover such as
> putc(), arch_decomp_setup(), etc. So far, pretty much the best source of
> information I've found is Wookey & Tak-Shing's "Porting the Linux Kernel to
> a New ARM Platform"...
>        http://www.glomationinc.com/PortingLinuxKernel.pdf
> ...but I can't help but notice that this is from 2002.
>
> Is there an updated version of this document (or perhaps a book chapter
> covering this) you would recommend?
>
> Cheers, ....Nick Pelling....

Hello,

I took a quick look at the document.  Much of the information still
applies to the latest kernel.  The biggest change that I can see is
that the directories were moved and files renames.  For example

arch/arm/deconfigs/ is now arch/arm/configs
config.in is now Kconfig
include/asm-arm/arch-xxx is moved to arch/arm/mach-xxx/include

By the way, include/asm is a symlink points to
include/asm-arm/arch-xxxx in the older kernels.  The link is created
by the make.  If I were to get Linux to boot on a new board, I would
start by looking at code for a similar target with the same SoC.

I hope that helps.

Steve