[libical] Adding support for VALARM extensions

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 27 19:28:02 PDT 2014

On 03/27/2014 10:19 PM, Robert Norris wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 01:04 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:
>> I looks like design-data/parameters.csv contains the integer value to be
>> used for the enumerated type when generated, which I believe preserves
>> the ABI for parameters.  Perhaps the same can be done for component
>> types, methods, properties, value types, and any other enums.
>> Obviously, the scripts used to generate the resulting *.[ch] files would
>> need to be changed too.
> This is the approach I considered too. I think it would work ok arrange
> it so that non-sequential values get added to enums as necessary, but my
> concern then is that any programs iterating over all values in an enum
> by using the range ICAL_FOO_X to ICAL_FOO_NONE is going to miss the new
> values. I don't know if that's a legitimate concern, but I don't see a
> way around it.

I also don't know if thats a legitimate concern or not, but I haven't
seen the need to iterate through a range of enum values (say
ICAL_VEVENT_COMPONENT to ICAL_VTIMEZONE_COMPONENT).  In the code that I
have written for Cyrus, I'm either selecting a single
component/property/parameter, or I am iterating through all of them
using ICAL_ANY_*.

Does Bron have any thoughts on this?

--
Kenneth Murchison