[Freeassociation-devel] libical release planning (was: Re: libical: TZID prefix)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Aug 17 04:32:28 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 7:52:12 AM Patrick Ohly wrote:
> >  >> >
> >  >> I don't know. Maybe Art does.
> >  >> But I really would like to hold off until I hear something ANYTHING
> >  >> from the Windows and Mac testers.
> >
> >  I am ready to do a release at this time.  I was holding off as a courtesy
> > towards Allen because he requested more testing from the Windows/Mac testers.
>
> I agree with Peter that it is better to release early and often. If the
> next release does not work for Windows/Mac users, then they can stay
> with the older version until the problem (whatever it'll be) is fixed.
>
> One valid reason to delay a release is that testing actively happens
> and/or regressions are known which are considered release critical and
> there is a solution in sight.
>
> With libical, both is the case right now: I am still testing it on Linux
> with EDS/SyncEvolution *and* the TZID problem is still open. See my
> other email on that.
>
> So let's focus on that and release in about a week?

At least lets' do some testing besides just Patrick and myself.
There have quite some changes.

It's one thing to release something we feel pretty confident about.
It's quite another to just throw code out there that people already
use and rely on as a stable library.

I strongly oppose any release at this time until there is more internal testing
on a variety of platforms.  Windows included.

Please test and report back here what you found.

-Allen