[Freeassociation-devel] libical release planning (was: Re: libical: TZID prefix)

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Wed Aug 17 06:58:15 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 07:32 -0400, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2011 7:52:12 AM Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > With libical, both is the case right now: I am still testing it on Linux
> > with EDS/SyncEvolution *and* the TZID problem is still open. See my
> > other email on that.
> >
> > So let's focus on that and release in about a week?
> >

> At least lets' do some testing besides just Patrick and myself.
> There have quite some changes.
>
> It's one thing to release something we feel pretty confident about.
> It's quite another to just throw code out there that people already
> use and rely on as a stable library.
>
> I strongly oppose any release at this time until there is more internal testing
> on a variety of platforms.  Windows included.
>
> Please test and report back here what you found.

But what if that testing isn't happening? Never release another update?

Part of the motivation for the "release early, release often" guideline
is that users (which are more likely developers and distributors in the
case of libical) are not going to do the testing unless a release is cut
first. Classic chicken-and-egg problem.

If you can get people to do the testing before-hand, great, but if not,
then doing the release and being prepared to follow up quickly with
fixes for problems found after the release is one way out of the
deadlock.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
Patrick.Ohly at gmx.de