[Freeassociation-devel] SVN fails regression tests?

Arnout Engelen libical at bzzt.net
Tue Mar 30 15:12:39 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 07:44:14PM +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 11:08 -0500, crass at berlios.de wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:45:46 +0200
> > Arnout Engelen <libical at bzzt.net> wrote:
> > > I sort of gave up because it's not quite clear how this should be
> > > tackled - I didn't consider myself familiar enough with the code to
> > > make a meaningful proposal (beyond 'have
> > > icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone return a timezone with full
> > > historic data, and provide a helper function to allow clients to
> > > simplify it if they prefer').
> >
> > I think the tests which fail due to DST changes should be changed to
> > "reasonably" get rid of any possible changes to DST.  For instance, I
> > don't see a change in DST crossing December 15 or July 1 (ie. stay
> > away from times close to DST.)
>
> But then you don't cover the corner cases that occur when a meeting
> crosses the start and end of summer time.

Right: it is useful to check that at least the 'current' pattern of timezone
changes is adhered to.

> I think the test cases should
> be updated to work with timezone definitions as currently returned by
> libical. If the rules change again, the tests will break again, too, but
> hopefully that won't happen that soon.

IMHO the failing tests do point at a real issue that causes real problems - so
just 'fixing' the tests doesn't feel right. If possible, it'd be better if the
current tests are copied. One copy can be 'fixed', the other can be left
unchanged but #ifdef'ed out because this currently is a known limitation.

Arnout