[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Stefan Peter st3fanp3t3r at gmail.com
Fri May 12 12:48:47 PDT 2017

On 12.05.2017 20:39, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 05/12/2017 10:51 AM, Val Kulkov wrote:
>>> On 12.05.2017 15:07, Mauro Mozzarelli wrote:
>> IMO the question should be "should the merged project be called OpenWRT or not".
>
> This is absolutely not the question, this is only one of the questions.
> The larger question that you are all raising is the following: do we
> want some, every, part of decision(s) that the project(s) make to be
> fully participative and include the entire community?

Sorry, no, IMHO this is one of the core questions here, at least. The
OpenWrt <-> LEDE fork happened due to the fact that some (most?) of the
OenWrt developers felt that they did not have enough weight in the
decisions taken by the project.
>From the comments on this thread, I get the impression the quite some
non-committing members of the community feel the same: The didn't even
get asked about their opinion regarding the naming or the structure of
the organisation that will result from the merge. And we all have our
opinions, and some of us need to sell the results of the committing
developers to their management. Shouldn't we as users and supporters and
whatnot get the chance to be heard, at least?

> This raises a bunch of interesting questions, but quite frankly I think
> this will result exactly in where we are now: talks and talks, and
> nothing happening for real because it raises way too many questions that
> are completely outside of the real of an open source project in its
> current stage IMHO.

Yes, I feel with you: I really need to known how this sad OpenWrt/LEDE
story continues, too. But I feel that before decisions can be taken. it
has to be clear who can take these decisions. Otherwise, this whole
blaming and moaning we have witnessed will start anew.

> Things like: for how long should a decision be submitted to the
> community, how many people can constitute a majority, should there be
> decisions not submitted to the public are all valid, but I don't think
> using OpenWrt and LEDE as a vessel is the right thing right now.

I never said that this would be easy, forking a project always is easier
than re-merging, I think. I just wanted to bring in to the discussion
the fact that the whole OpenWrt/LEDE projects future plans affects more
than just the committing developers. It really would be nice if the
whole community would get a way to speak up. Even better if the powers
that are could decide upon to let us grunts to participate in the
decisions. But this is for the committers to decide.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter

--
If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what then is an
empty desk a sign?