[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Fri May 12 11:39:03 PDT 2017

On 05/12/2017 10:51 AM, Val Kulkov wrote:
> On 12 May 2017 at 12:02, Stefan Peter <st3fanp3t3r at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12.05.2017 15:07, Mauro Mozzarelli wrote:
>>> The issue is that, although these are "open" projects, the participation
>>> is de-facto closed to a small group of core developers that make it
>>> particularly challenging for anyone outside to contribute.
>>
>> A solution to this problem could be to conduct a poll, open to the
>> larger community. The results of these polls could either server the
>> voting contributors as a source of opinion or even be weighed with a
>> certain percentage of the total votes in the vote of the contributors.
>>
>> With kind regards
>>
>> Stefan Peter
>>

> Core developers: please conduct an open poll at lede-dev and at least
> consider the results of the poll before making the final decision on
> the name of the merged project. This is the time to demonstrate your
> principles and show that you are not an isolated group and you are
> willing to consider opinions of the wider community.
>
> IMO the question should be "should the merged project be called OpenWRT or not".

This is absolutely not the question, this is only one of the questions.
The larger question that you are all raising is the following: do we
want some, every, part of decision(s) that the project(s) make to be
fully participative and include the entire community?

This raises a bunch of interesting questions, but quite frankly I think
this will result exactly in where we are now: talks and talks, and
nothing happening for real because it raises way too many questions that
are completely outside of the real of an open source project in its
current stage IMHO.

Things like: for how long should a decision be submitted to the
community, how many people can constitute a majority, should there be
decisions not submitted to the public are all valid, but I don't think
using OpenWrt and LEDE as a vessel is the right thing right now.

So from now on, I would appreciate if we did value action over political
philosophy and stopped using OpenWrt and LEDE as a public agora to try
to answer those.
--
Florian