[LEDE-DEV] Image Wizard for LEDE?

Ufo ufo at rund.freifunk.net
Mon Jan 2 08:57:39 PST 2017

for "Freifunk Leipzig" we are using Meshkit since years.  yes, its done
via a VM. We are forced to compile the whole LEDE (or openwrt) by
ourself every month in order to have ALL packages properly. (f.i. to use
"luci2" or "rpcd-mod-alfred" or sound-drivers..)

i can recommend using our leipzig one, its almost up-to-date and with LEDE:

http://gadow.freifunk.net:8086/meshkit/

for ar71xx please use target: ar71xx-lede-20161220
for x86/virt testing: x86-lede-20161121
-community: Freifunk-Leipzig (still in usage and tested), best with
"expert mode"

for package selection the meshkit is very, very nice. you can add
package-names (f.i. tcpdump-mini) to package-list in expert mode to have
that package inside the new kompilieded image. so there is no need to
post-install packages, and the device is pre-configured when flashing
(or resetting!) a device :-)

video tutorial howto use meshkit (in 60 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnkmHkFE_YQ
video example (with Nanostation M5):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdJcV0NkAw

please test it with devices with  more than 4 MB flash to have complete
webinterface!
otherwise there is a need for changing package list manually (the image
would be too big) ..  (delete all lua + "luci-"..... stuff, and add "luci2")

some limitations:
* its mostly used for mesh-devices with OLSR, batman-adv was added
months ago but you can also try it without mesh-routing (please change
files in /etc/config afterwards). but there are not presets for that
* the (auto-) update functions of meshkit are not programmed to the end yet
* other freifunk-towns forked this to make package-presets possible. but
its not gitted upstream yet. (weimarnetz, freifunk berlin, freifunk halle)

some issues:
* "opkg package repository directory management" seems to be changes
every month with LEDE :-( so you may change it manually when
post-installation of packages is needed.
* (adv.) LAN-Settings in meshkit are not set for x86-devices, its still
192.168.1.1 with dhcp by default
* normal lede problem: horst doesnt compile anymore since some weeks:
https://github.com/br101/horst/issues/64
* problems with newer OLSR jsonplugin:
https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/907 (please help me)
* luci-mod-freifunk: hostname missing:
https://github.com/openwrt/luci/issues/571
* LEDE new wifi named: "default_radio0 / LEDE"
https://plan.leipzig.freifunk.net/issues/360
* multicast ping6 doesnt work outgoing anymore (security feature?)
https://plan.leipzig.freifunk.net/issues/273
* maybe a "normal" problem: channel 1 has less wifi-power than channel 2
(at least with tplink)

cheers, ufo

p.s.
there are several meshkit instances online, please see official sources
(instead of forks) here
* https://github.com/freifunk/meshkit
beware, the official freifunk meshkit is outdated! (at least the
target/kompilats)
* http://meshkit.freifunk.net and http://testing.meshkit.freifunk.net