[LEDE-DEV] On the proposed Mantis and maximizing bug usefulness

Daniel Dickinson lede at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun May 8 19:16:18 PDT 2016

Fundamentally I disagree with you unspoken premise that 'there is no
such thing as a useless bug report'.

I agree with the *reason* the developers proposed the bug reporting
mechanism they dig, just not with mechanism itself, which is that there
*are* bug reports that are not worth the time and effort to process them.

Maybe in an ideal world where there was legion of willing volunteer
triagers who could turn even the most useless bug report (or notice a
pattern from a large number of same) into something meaningful, this
isn't an ideal world, and there are bug reports that drain resources
more than any minute value they might provide warrants.

Actually in ideal world we would a) have bugs b) in a slightly less
ideal world we'd at least always get greatly helpful bug reports.  But I
digress.

I'm interested in a solution that works, both for dealing with the valid
developer points, without what I feel is the 'more harm than good' than
I feel the originally proposed solution would do.

It looks to me like there is some movement to something inbetween, which
I think is good.

Regards,

Daniel