[LEDE-DEV] On the proposed Mantis and maximizing bug usefulness

Daniel Dickinson lede at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun May 8 19:09:08 PDT 2016

On 16-05-08 09:55 PM, Ben Greear wrote:

> But, even if the bug report is simply:
>
> "I upgraded the blue thing on my desk today and now it sucks
> but I don't really know why."
>
> It may still be useful:  If you see 100 other of those bugs around the
> same time, you know there is probably some issue, and you can start paying
> more attention and/or start looking harder for concrete bugs around
> that timeframe.

I know that's an extreme example, but really I don't think that the kind
of scenario where useless bugs become useful simply via numbers occurs
often enough, especially in a niche project like LEDE, to be a relevant
use case.  Just saying.

> Someone who is triaging the bugs could notice this sort of thing: They
> could open
> a meta-bug, with more useful summary information, and make the other
> mostly useless
> bugs hidden.

The triagers are also volunteers, who while willing to wade through some
brown stuff to find the gold, don't want to go swimming in a sea of it.

Regards,

Daniel