[LEDE-DEV] Why technical elitism is contrary to stated goal of community

Daniel Dickinson lede at daniel.thecshore.com
Sat May 7 19:24:44 PDT 2016

On the question of moderating bug reports (rather than trying to use a
special format to moderate bug reports which a) I don't believe will
work and b) hurts more than it helps because of the reduction in getting
bug reports at all, I would propose that you ask for volunteers (and
I'll be the first to volunteer) to moderate bug reports so that
developers don't see useless noise (i.e. useless reports are not in the
list reports developers have to look at).

So a triager would *solely* assess whether the bug report had the
information asked for OR if there are fudge answers for some fields it's
for a valid 'not applicable' reason for doing so.

If there are enough willing volunteers, triagers could tag the bug as
needing more information, with it being automatically closed if no more
information in provided in a certain amount of time, and also with
ability to close bugs for which attempts at back and forth are getting
nowhere.

In other words rather than try to triage via special format ask for
triagers who willing to donate time to the grunt work of making sure bug
reports developers see are actually useful.

I believe if in a healthy community there will be enough people who may
not have the skills to be developers, or who are simply willing to help
even they also submit patches/prs and/or are committers (I intended to
submit pr's for instance but am still willing to do that kind of basic
triage).

If there aren't enough triagers to keep up with the reports, then maybe
revisit the issue after trying something like Bugzilla (I merely mention
that as a way to not have to spend development writing some custom
bugwork tool that has been proposed) or other issue tracker that is
deemed useful (again it seems somewhat silly to me to reinvent the wheel
and spend development cycles on something that I don't see as really
solving the problem without introducing other problems that may be worse
in the long run).

Regards,

Daniel