[LEDE-DEV] Why technical elitism is contrary to stated goal of community

Daniel Dickinson lede at daniel.thecshore.com
Sat May 7 19:04:52 PDT 2016

One thing that occurs to me is that you're looking at the benefit of not
having to close pointless bug reports.

Wouldn't it make more sense, though, to still have a web form that posts
to the list (requiring the fields you want required and prompting the
user to only submit if they're sure it's acceptable according the rules
which you display yet again) in the desired format.

You can still have the policy of ignore reports that aren't useful
without having to close bug reports without shutting out less savvy
users, who presuming they are actually filling out the report as
requested have either a) provided the necessary information or b) can be
contacted to get more information.

Even with the proposed post-to-the-list in the correct format you're not
going to avoid the knobs that think the policies don't apply to them,
and are still going to have to ignore that sort of thing.

If the concern is things ending up in a tracker (e.g. the list is going
to end up in a tracker that requires closing, then I'm unclear what
you've gained), unless there is some sort of moderation of what goes in
the tracker.

Regards,

Daniel