[LEDE-DEV] Why technical elitism is contrary to stated goal of community

Daniel Dickinson lede at daniel.thecshore.com
Sat May 7 14:09:04 PDT 2016

On 16-05-07 05:19 AM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> We see a big problem in how Issues at OpenWrt are handled now. OpenWrt
> has a very low barrier to report bugs and about 50% of them re not
> useful. Most people working on OpenWrt are doing this in their spare
> time and I do  not think anybody gets paid for handling random bug
> reports. When I look at a bug report it takes me some time to read it.
> If I think I can fix it I first have to reproduce it on some device
> which is often hard because I do not even know what version they are
> using or if they have done big modifications to it, like using OpenWrt
> CC with kernel 2.6.28.
>
> The other problem with the OpenWrt bug tracer is that people are often
> unreachable for further questions, because they haven't provided a mail
> address or do not care anymore.
>
> This is not a criticism at OpenWrt, I just want to point out the problem.

I agree there is a problem that needs a solution, I simply question the
propose solution's usefulness.  Something like bugzilla where it's hard
to do an anonymous bug report and you can require certain fields be
filled in (or at least make sure that users are aware of what they are
'supposed' to do; there is no actual way to force it, even with the
proposed solution, and sometimes requiring fields is counter-productive
when the fields don't match the situation (which will inevitably occur,
no matter if you've thought you've thought of all possible cases).

Regards,

Daniel