[RFC] A change to the way packages are built

Jo-Philipp Wich jo at mein.io
Thu May 5 10:57:29 PDT 2016

Hi Daniel,

> Basically one builds a minimal SDK and does kind of like Debian where a
> git commit to a package kicks of a build of pristine environment which
> builds only the package and it's dependencies.

I've set up a two-phase buildbot infrastructure which first builds the
SDK for each target/subtarget, and then utilizes suitable SDKs for
processing the package feeds, see

http://phase1.builds.lede-project.org/
and
http://phase2.builds.lede-project.org/

This approach is far from perfect but imho a good step into the right
direction and it would fulfill your requirement of decoupled core/feed
builds.

Once more build resources become available it becomes feasible to
compile single packages plus their dependency trees as they're pushed.

You can find the buildbot configuration files here:
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=buildbot.git

~ Jo