[RFC] A change to the way packages are built

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Thu May 5 11:42:44 PDT 2016

On 16-05-05 01:57 PM, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
>> Basically one builds a minimal SDK and does kind of like Debian where a
>> git commit to a package kicks of a build of pristine environment which
>> builds only the package and it's dependencies.
>
> I've set up a two-phase buildbot infrastructure which first builds the
> SDK for each target/subtarget, and then utilizes suitable SDKs for
> processing the package feeds, see
>
> http://phase1.builds.lede-project.org/
> and
> http://phase2.builds.lede-project.org/

Would you be interested in looking at my patch for building a minimal
SDK?  I won't claim it's ready for LEDE use, but if you find it helpful
as starting point, I'm happy.

> This approach is far from perfect but imho a good step into the right
> direction and it would fulfill your requirement of decoupled core/feed
> builds.

Awesome.  This is definitely a big job and doing it small steps is
advisable anyway.

> Once more build resources become available it becomes feasible to
> compile single packages plus their dependency trees as they're pushed.
>
> You can find the buildbot configuration files here:
> https://git.lede-project.org/?p=buildbot.git

Thanks!

I might set up an experimental buildbot to try some of my ideas (also
looking at various existing tools others have pointed out).

Regards,

Daniel