Fwd: zImage support for ppc

Bhupesh SHARMA bhupesh.linux at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 05:59:13 PDT 2017

Hi Sunil,

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Sunil Kumar <sukumar at mvista.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Thanks for replying Pratyush.
>
> I have also seen the zImage support is present for the ppc64, earlier
> my plan was to take this source as reference and port it for ppc.
> But in zImage_ppc64_usage() its clearly written that "zImage support
> is still broken", which stop me.
>
> Is the zImage for ppc64 working properly ? Should I trust this ?
>
> Asking this because I don't have hardware to test for ppc64.
>
> If anyone else used the ppc64 zImage as secondary kernel. please
> provide your inputs here.

I was recently experimenting with the kexec zImage support for both
ppc/ppc64 systems, but I do not find it working reliably on ppc64 on
Power8 machines as well.

I am looking to work on a fix for the ppc64 zImage support first
(since I have real hardware to test the same on) and also looking to
extend it to ppc32 (for which I have only qemu systems to test on).

I plan to share a RFC patchset in a week or so and would need your
help to test it on ppc32 boards like the p2020.

Regards,
Bhupesh