Capturing wpa_supplicant -dd output?

The Wanderer wanderer
Wed Apr 24 08:44:33 PDT 2013

On 04/23/2013 10:06 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 08:27:25AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> When I launch wpa_supplicant with appropriate options and '-dd' for
>> verbosity, it prints a fairly lengthy flood of information to the
>> console. Among this is information which I think may be relevant to
>> the problem I want to report.
>>
>> If I redirect the output of the exact same wpa_supplicant command
>> line, either to a file ('>') or to a pipeline ('|'), no information
>> appears to be printed; the file is left at zero size, and the next
>> program in the pipeline doesn't appear to receive anything on
>> standard input. This happens even when also redirecting stderr into
>> stdout first.
>
> This works fine for me.. What is the full command line you use here?
> Please note that this output gets buffered, so it may not be
> immediately available.

The full command line being run is:

wpa_supplicant -B -P "/var/run/wpa_supplicant.wlan1.pid" -i "wlan1" -D
nl80211,wext -t -dd -c "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf"

When run exactly as given, this command produces the described flood of
output, with no visible delay. When redirecting the output - either by
'> /tmp/output-direct.log' or '| tee /tmp/output-via_pipe.log' - the
resulting file, checked after the command returns control to the shell,
is 0 bytes in size.

In case it matters, the shell in this case is bash, though offhand I
don't know what version.

--
    The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
   - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger