ignore_broadcast_ssid without effect

Dennis Borgmann dennis.borgmann
Tue May 25 06:49:12 PDT 2010

Jouni,

the idea of hiding the SSID is to prevent automated programs trying to
associate (think of Windows-drivers, that automatically scan and try to
associate). The background on this is to lower traffic on a specified
channel in general and avoid absolutely unneccessary traffic on the AP.

By hiding the SSID, automated programs and users just looking at their
wireless GUI ("Oh! What kind of WLAN is this? Hmm... I'll just try to
connect.") would be taken out of the traffic-generation calculation,
which would gain a channel being more free. I know, that these packets
are negligible low in quantity and bandwidth comsumption, but I want to
be absolutely secure to have a free channel due to low latency. Think of
hundreds of users in parallel trying to associate and maybe you get a
filled channel with a whole bunch of waste...

Moving to ath5k has been taken into consideration, but is at current
state of project not possible...

Kind regards,
Dennis