ignore_broadcast_ssid without effect

Jouni Malinen j
Tue May 25 06:35:07 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:05:11AM +0200, Dennis Borgmann wrote:

> I am using hostapd in connection with madwifi-0.9.4 and I am seeing the
> problem, that I cannot hide my ssid. See my hostapd.conf below:

> Although I am using "ignore_broadcast_ssid=1", the SSID still appears in
> the beacons and the AP answers to broadcast SSID-requests. I tested with
> hostapd-0.6.9 and the hostap-06.git -version from Febuary 2nd, 2010. Any
> suggestions what I am doing wrong?

ignore_broadcast_ssid=1 is only supported with drivers that use hostapd
for generating the Beacon frame template and processing Probe Request
frames; madwifi is not in that category. It could be possible to use
this if you were to move from madwifi to ath5k or ath9k.

PS.

May I ask why you would like to use SSID hiding? In general, it does not
really bring in any additional security (SSID will be sent out in plain
in Probe Response and Association Request frames) and it is considered
harmful (breaks some stations and makes it more difficult to find the
AP).