WPA-PSK : Ignore event for foreign ifindex 7

Jouni Malinen j
Sun May 23 06:52:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:48:14AM +0100, Panagiotis Georgopoulos wrote:

>                 I have a hostapd configuration that accepts clients
> connecting with different ways (WPA-PSK, EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS). On my WPA-PSK
> client at some point I start seeing the following debug output and I realize
> that I cannot reach the access point (pings fail), although I do have an IP
> on my wireless interface and iwconfing reports that I am associated with the
> AP (nb. I am using madwifi drivers)

> Ignore event for foreign ifindex 7
> (repeatedly)

> If I restart wpa_supplicant connection is restored (as you might have
> guessed I don't want to do that every time). Does anyone know what is wrong
> and how can I correct this problem? What does the above error mean?

It is not an error message; just a notification of something being
ignored. Could you please check which interface has ifindex 7 (or well,
whatever the value is at that time in those messages)? You can see this,
e.g., with "iw link". If something ended up removing and/or renaming the
network device, it could be possible to start missing the driver events,
but that should not really happen under normal use.