Asymmetric encryption

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Dec 23 00:28:41 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 04:53:43PM +0100, Damien Leroy wrote:
> Actually, I see now where is the issue if I try to parse the public key
> ASN1 structure but I do not know how to generate them in the right way
> (except manually). For the moment, the only solution I found to work
> with public keys is to parse the private key that have a beginning with
> the correct structure and to comment the content remaining check... but
> it is not really a true solution.

OK. I think I understood what you are trying to do.. However, there is
no (intentional, at least ;-) support for reading public keys from files
outside the concept of reading a certificate that includes a public
key. The code that parses public key is used only to process the public
key inside a certificate or inside the TLS handshake. As such, no
standard format for public key stored in a file has been considered in
the code. You may need to add a new function to parse plain public keys.

Do you have any particular reason for not using X.509 certificates? Are
you assuming that the public keys are delivered over a trusted
out-of-band process and there is no need for PKI?