wpa_supplicant fails and reports weird AP address in association

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Tue Dec 12 09:40:24 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 12:18:55AM +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 23:38, Sergio Callegari wrote:
> >
> > I believe you can either supply as the psk an exadecimal key or a
> > string.  In the latter case, wpa supplicant should convert it
> > automatically into a hex key using the same algorithm as
> > wpa-passphrase... at least, this is what I get from the docs:
> >
> > "wpa-psk will accept a plaintext string enclosed in quotation marks this
> > is equivalent to the 'wpa-passphrase' option"
>
> That looks like a snippet from the debian wpasupplicant package. If it is, the
> documentation is referring to special wpa-* options specific to ifupdown
> integration in debian. ie, options to be used in /etc/network/interfaces, not
> wpa_supplicant.conf.

Nope, it's valid in wpa_supplicant.conf:

http://hostap.epitest.fi/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/hostap/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf?rev=1.88&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

See the first sample config entry (near the end of the file, after the
comments explaining the syntax).

It is true that using the ASCII passphrase will slow down the startup of
wpa_supplicant a bit, because it has to run through the set of hashes to
create the hex passphrase, but with modern CPUs it's probably not going
to be noticeable.