wpa_supplicant fails and reports weird AP address in association

Kel Modderman kelmo
Tue Dec 12 06:18:55 PST 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 23:38, Sergio Callegari wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 12:15 +0100, Sergio Callegari wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to set up a wireless network including an Hamlet access
> >> point and a Linux laptop with an intel 3945 wireless interface.
> >>
> >> Everything is fine as long as I limit myself to WEP security.
> >>
> >> If I try to use WPA security with wpa_supplicant, things stop working.
> >>
> >> Precisely I am getting the following problem
> >>
> >> running
> >>
> >>     wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wext
> >>
> >> with the following wpa_supplicant.conf
> >> network={
> >>         ssid="XXXXXXXXX"
> >>         scan_ssid=1
> >>         proto=WPA
> >>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> >>         psk="secure"
> >
> > Is it really something with quotes?  First, try using the
> > 'wpa-passhprase' tool or copy the actual _hex_ key from your AP's
> > configuration screen, and paste it into your wpa_supplicant
> > configuration like so:
> >
> > 	psk=11bbccddeeff223399...
> >
> > i.e., _don't_ use quotes, and use the hexadecimal key rather than using
> > quotes here.  If you use quotes, wpa_supplicant interprets the config
> > option as a string, which clearly isn't what you want here.  And I don't
> > believe that wpa_supplicant supports passphrase hashing for WPA
> > internally, that's what wpa-passphrase is for.
> >
> > Dan
>
> I believe you can either supply as the psk an exadecimal key or a
> string.  In the latter case, wpa supplicant should convert it
> automatically into a hex key using the same algorithm as
> wpa-passphrase... at least, this is what I get from the docs:
>
> "wpa-psk will accept a plaintext string enclosed in quotation marks this
> is equivalent to the 'wpa-passphrase' option"

That looks like a snippet from the debian wpasupplicant package. If it is, the
documentation is referring to special wpa-* options specific to ifupdown
integration in debian. ie, options to be used in /etc/network/interfaces, not
wpa_supplicant.conf.

Thanks, Kel.