Turning WZC back on at wpa_supplicant's termination.

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Aug 15 18:47:57 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 08:19:21AM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:

> Version 0.5.4 automatically stops (or disables) the WZC when it starts
> up.  Later, when the supplicant begins to shutdown, it turns it back
> on, BUT it must do one more thing: it must tell instruct the system to
> "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

This works in my tests..

> this can be verified by bringing up the "Wireless Network Connection
> Properties" dialog and chosing the "Wireless Networks" tab.  the check
> box at the top of this panel will / should be checked.

Are you saying that you are seeing a case where that was checked before
running wpa_supplicant and it is not checked after terminating
wpa_supplicant? Does wpa_supplicant report any errors in debug log when
it tries to enabled WZC?

> Until then one cannot use the "Wireless Network Connections" window to
> view the detected APs nor configure "Preferred Networks" profiles.

I have not seen this happening in my tests. I can just kill
wpa_supplicant and have WZC connect without any problems to whatever
network it was configured to use.

> Perhaps I'm not stopping the wpa_supplicant correctly??

How do you stop it?

> Idea: how is the wpa_supplicant turnning WZC off? Perhaps Stopping it
> vs. Disabling it, then Restart vs. Enabling it (instead of the way it
> presently handles this exchange) will insure the check box is properly
> check when the wpa_supplicant exits.

WZC service is not stopped. wpa_supplicant is just disabling it for the
selected interface.