wpa_supplicant and T-Mobile and 802.1x/WPA (tmobile1x)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Sep 3 12:33:19 PDT 2005

Some time ago, there were couple of questions on how to use
wpa_supplicant with the WPA-enabled version of T-Mobile wireless
network.

Finally, I had a suitable chance to test this a bit while waiting for my
flight at SFO and the connection is indeed working fine. As a proof,
this email is actually send over the WPA encrypted T-Mobile network ;-).

The SSID for the network is tmobile1x and it is configured for
WPA-Enterprise with TKIP. Authentication is done using EAP-TTLS/PAP
using the normal T-Mobile username/password. It was enough to just
complete WPA authentication, i.e., no need to go to any web portal page.
It took me some time (maybe five or so scan attempts) to find tmobile1x
SSID even though I saw six or so APs with tmobile SSID at the same time.
Anyway, once the correct SSID was found, association and authentication
went through fine.

This network block worked fine (at least at SFO) with madwifi:

network={
        ssid="tmobile1x"
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        scan_ssid=1