Failing to read config file - v0.4.4

Edward Ocampo-gooding edward.og
Sat Sep 3 10:47:14 PDT 2005

On 9/3/05, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 09:10:58AM -0400, Edward Ocampo-gooding wrote:
>
> > I'm using wpa_supplicant v0.4.4, madwifi-driver-0.1_pre20050420-r1
> > (Gentoo), and a Sony PCWA-C300S (Atheros) card.
> >
> > A month ago, wpa_supplicant worked without any problems, but after
> > unknown changes were made (I've just forgotten), it doesn't work
> > anymore.
>
> Unknown changes to what? Made by whom?
>
> > # wpa_supplicant -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.example -d -Dmadwifi
> > Failed to read configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.example'.
>
> If that example file is the commented configuration file in
> wpa_supplicant distribution, it may include configuration for EAP types
> that are not included in the build.
>
> Have you built wpa_supplicant with CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y in .config?
> That would remove more detailed error messages from configuration file
> parsing.
>
> > Trying to feed wpa_supplicant any world-readable file also has it
> > failing to read.
>
> Of course configuration file parsing will fail if you try to read
> something that is not in valid format..
>
> --

On running an strace on a build with debugging turned on, I found that
it was trying to access opensc libraries that I didn't have.
Installing those required libraries fixed the problem.  I'll submit a
bug report for the Gentoo ebuild so that using SSL requires opensc
libraries as well.

Thanks guys!  I'll make sure to use strace and debugging options
turned on as a first line of defense in problem solving from now on.
(Also: Tim: good thought - while it wasn't the problem in my case, I
have seen that as the cause of the problem when parsing depends on
posix-style line breaks and that kind of thing.)

I do have another problem now, but I'll post that as a different topic
so the next person who searches through here will have an easier time.