hostapd runs, but no control of network

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Sep 3 08:46:09 PDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 04:34:54PM +0200, Tim Boneko wrote:

> I compiled hostapd v. 0.4.4 with all necessary options according to
> README and infos from hostap.epitest.fi. I included support for prism54
> (latest stable package from prism54.org) and internal radius server.

I do not know whether there are any active developers for prism54
support. I'm not familiar with the current status of the driver and how
it would work with the driver interface code in hostapd.

> Still all clients have a working connnection, hostapd doesn?t keep
> anybody from connnecting. So i changed the config from internal radius
> to a freeradius server i just installed. I configured the  clients.conf
> file and seem to have hostapd running with my freeradius server, but
> still anybody can connect without password. Hostapd makes my wlan a
> wide-open, inviting door.

Does hostapd debug log show any messages when stations associate? If
not, it sounds like the driver version you are using would not be
informing hostapd about new stations.

> Can anybody shed some light on me? What am i missing? Does the internal
> hostapd radius server really authenticate anyone with any passwd? Or
> could i uninstall freeradius again? Would be nice since this becomes a
> bit oversized with freeradius.

No, the internal hostapd authentication server does not allow any
password. It doesn't really matter which RADIUS server you use; it
sounds like a more fundamental problem in the driver interface. The
unfortunate part is that one would need to find a developer that would
be interested in maintaining Prism54 support to get more detailed
answers on this area.