NDIS driver / changing RSN IEs

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Mon Oct 31 13:40:09 PST 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 01:52:50PM -0500, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> It's trying to associate with the AP whose IE just changed, and it'll
> get all the way through association into the 4-way handshake, but when
> it receives frame 3 (the one containing a copy of the AP's RSN IE), it
> will reject the AP because the capabilities field is different.  (At
> least, according to the debug log, that's what's happening.  I've
> attached a gzipped -ddt log file showing the issue.)

Correction: After doing this, it clears the "local" cached copy of the
AP's RSN IE (it calls wpa_sm_set_ap_rsn_ie with a NULL IE).  Later,
after trying to reassociate 3 times (one time which clears the local RSN
IE, one time which clears the PMKSA cache, and one time which clears out
something else that I don't remember ATM), it gets to frame 3 of the
4-way handshake again, and sees that the "local" cached copy of the IE
isn't there.  It then tries to retrieve it from the scan results table,
and it still gets the old version.

So the problem is still there, but the problem isn't that set_ap_rsn_ie
doesn't get called.  The problem is that the scan results table is out
of date, and it returns the wrong IE.

I have tried doing a "wpa_cli scan" while the supplicant is in this
state (to update the scan results table), but that refuses to ever
reconnect to the current AP, for some reason.  I believe it's an issue
with the NDIS driver in use (Linksys's driver for their WMP54GS cards),
but I don't know that for sure.

(So the log I attached isn't worth much.  I could attach another log if
needed, but it'll take some doing to get it below the message-size
threshold that this list has.)