Virtual WiFi on Linux?

Jim Thompson jim
Thu Oct 20 05:24:04 PDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 2:20 AM, Dan Searle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms here, please correct me....
>
> Thursday, October 20, 2005, 1:06:16 PM, you wrote:
>

>>> Then, run 16 separate MAC layers with some kind of modification
>>> to the
>>> HAL to share (schedule) the PHY layer between the 16 MAC layers.
>>>

>> No, you 'multiplex' 16 instances of the "upper MAC" over a single
>> instance of the "lower MAC".
>>

> But if you just use simple multiplexing, would you not end up with
> contention between the different upper MAC instances? I'm thinking a
> more intelligent scheduling scheme would be needed to ensure the 16
> upper MAC stacks share the lower MAC in a "fair" manner?

Sure, you probably want something like this, so the set of clients on
one VAP don't dominate the
transmit queues.

> I.e. if we are the lower MAC and have basically 16 incoming queues of
> transmit traffic from the 16 upper MACs, how do we decide which frames
> to transmit first? Do we simply round robin the 16 queue's
its an approach!

> or would some kind of intelligent scheduling achieve better
> throughput/sharing
> of the lower MAC and ultimately the PHY??

now factor in 802.11e (EDCF) and wonder 'why?'  Or perhaps "when?" as
in "when will the linux 802.11 stack
have support for 802.11e?

>>> Received frames are not under our control, so all the scheduler
>>> would
>>> have to do is share out the PHY transmit buffer (e.g. SFQ?).
>>>

>> Huh?
>>

> Sorry, was just trying to point out that we would only have to
> multiplex/schedule the transmit buffers as the radio can't control
> what frames arrive on the PHY, and hence in what order/priority the
> upper MAC layers get on the receive side of things.

If I'm reading you correctly, this is true even for one MAC instance.