WPA-PSK won't exchange keys using interface - wifi0

Tony Espy espy
Tue Jul 5 10:20:17 PDT 2005

i've run into a problem where i can't seem to get wpa_supplicant to
complete it's key exchange with an AP using WPA-PSK over the wifi0
interface.  it works just fine if i specify wlan0 as the interface.

we switched awhile back to using wifi0 for configuration of wifi ( ie.
we start wpa_supplicant with '-iwifi0' ), and then use wlan0 as our main
IP interface.  this allows our DHCP client (pump) to mark wlan0 UP or
DOWN without interferring with the normal operation of the HostAP driver.

i'm guessing that this is a driver-level problem, but haven't been able
to pinpoint the cause.

FYI, we're using a slightly modified version of wpa_supplicant 0.3.8
with HostAP 0.3.9.  i've reproduced the problem with a non-modified copy
of wpa_supplicant, including several older versions.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
Tony Espy
Pepper Computer