dwl520e- "valid PDA not found"

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Mar 11 18:26:13 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 12:10:30PM -0500, jeff pickering wrote:

> on hostap-0.2.0, linux-2.4.24, and dwl520e, when running prism2_srec -gs
> wlan0 pmxxx.hex,
> I get "valid PDA not found". After adding some printk's, it seems that
> prism2_read_pda fails
> because everywhere it looks it finds stuff that does not look like PDRs.

Please send full 'dmesg' output for this. That sounds like the card is
not in correct state after the initial primary firmware download.

> - what pda is this anyway? the programmers manual says there is a pda
>   for each "component". eg, if the pda is for primary firmware, is it
> possible

No, it does not say such a thing and if it did, it would be wrong.
There's just one PDA in the card.

>   I am using the wrong primary firmware? ( the firmware being used is from
>   a link in andrew barr's 520e web page).

And what would would be the exact name of that firmware file?

> - is there any other pda address I might try?

I don't think so. I would be quite a bit surprised if the PDA were
somewhere else with your card since it happens to be in known location
for other DWL-650 rev E1 cards.

> - are there any timing issues?

Yes, there can be; either with sreset after the initial firmware upgrade
or with the initialization after sreset.

> - is there some liveness test I can do to see if the card responds at
> all at the
>   time prism2_read_pda is called? (there seems to be a lot that goes on
>   correctly prior to this).

Primary firmware should be in operational state at this point, so one
should be able to read its version and I think one of your prism2_srec
logs showed this already.