Help in installing HOSTAP driver

AP-Research HostAP-Research
Mon Jul 26 19:26:31 PDT 2004

<quote who="navaneeth">
> Hi all,
>
>         I have a linux 2.6.5-1.358 kernel. I got the hostap driver and
> hostap supplicant code from the hostap website.
>
> I think the hostap supplicant code runs in user space. So I have compiled
> and built it.
>
> I am confused about how to install the hostap driver.
>
> 1. Where should I copy this code (in usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless
> ??)
>
> 2. Then after doing make and make install, when I try to build the image,
> I get error saying that there is no rule to build hostap.o. I guess I have
> to change the makefile for this.
>
> I am a new bee with linux. Can anyone help me or point me to a document.
>
> The document in hostap is a bit complex for me. Any other help guide for
> installing hostap driver and setting up the environment.
>
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Navaneeth

I have a page which should get you most of the way.  It doesn't cover some
of the more complex scenarios you could come up with, but it'll get the
newbie an access point up and running.  Securing it will require more
research on your part... or maybe someone else has a better page?!?  Read
the README et. al. which come with the HostAP source code for an in-depth
understanding of how it works.  My page specifically instructs on how to
get it working with an SMC2532W-B, but with a little extrapolation you
should be able to follow it using any card.

--
Regards
KC Ferguson CIO/CTO