Hidden node question...

Jeff Meden blade
Tue Sep 16 07:39:30 PDT 2003

The 'hidden node issue' is something thats addressed by the nature of
managed 802.11b.  When in managed mode, nodes cant send if they know
someone else is talking (coordinated by the AP) and they have to CTS/RTS
with the AP before they will start up with data.  Hostap's shortcoming
is that it makes it difficult to tune the managed timing properly.  Ive
yet to confirm that any of the advanced features like adjustable DTIM,
RTS, and Frag levels actually work.  As a more forward thinking
solution, the best bet is to size down the individual cells, either with
sector antennas, or shorter, lower power ones.  This not only reduces
the exponential contention issue (the problem youre probably seeing) but
it allows more total bandwidth per customer.  Karlnet is a very nice
product, but their oppressive licensing tactics forced our company away
from them a long time ago, we had to almost double the TCO for our
system after the hardware was bought, just to keep up with them.  Hope
this helps!

Jeff