Open WEP Mode and SMC 2532

David Levitan david
Thu Jul 24 07:09:37 PDT 2003

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, David Levitan wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I've tried the
>>latest CVS and putting in a hex code key, but haven't had any luck. Does
>>anyone have any idea why I can't set the card to open wep mode?
>

> Please don't toppost.  It make it hard to quote your posts.
>
> Also, some output would be more helpful than your interpretation.  Can it
> be that the "hostap_crypt_wep" is not loaded?  What does "lsmod" show?
>
> Maybe you have some errors in the kernel log.  Use dmesg to check.
>
> Maybe the key is interpreted as a 104-bit long, and Orinoco Silver doesn't
> support it.  It's not likely, but you can check by running "iwlist wlan0
> key".
>
> Maybe the Orinoco card also has a key set at startup.  You can check it by
> "iwlist eth0 key" on the station side and turn it off by "iwconfig eth0
> key off".  That's the most likely reason.
>
> Maybe you have an old version of wireless tools or they were compiled
> against an old kernel.  Use "iwconfig --version" to find out.

hostap_crypt and hostap_crypt_wep are working. If I put the key in on
the client, it works without a problem.

Here is full dmesg output from card insertion to station association:
hostap_cs: CVS (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
hostap_cs: setting Vcc=33 (constant)
hostap_cs: CS_EVENT_CARD_INSERTION
prism2_config()
hostap_cs: setting Vcc=50 (from config)
Checking CFTABLE_ENTRY 0x01 (default 0x01)
IO window settings: cfg->io.nwin=1 dflt.io.nwin=1
io->flags = 0x0046, io.base=0x0000, len=64
hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 17, io 0xbc40-0xbc7f
hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wlan0
prism2_hw_init()
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 15991 iterations
wlan0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
wlan0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.1
wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v1.7.4
wlan0: prism2_open
wlan0: 08:00:46:0a:42:a9 auth_cb - STA authenticated
wlan0: 08:00:46:0a:42:a9 assoc_cb - STA associated
wlan0: 08:00:46:0a:42:a9 auth_cb - STA authenticated
wlan0: 08:00:46:0a:42:a9 assoc_cb - STA associated

I haven't found anything weird with it. This is without hostapd running,
but with the key set. iwconfig output is:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"dlevitan"  Nickname:"orthanc"
           Mode:Master  Frequency:2.412GHz  Access Point: 00:04:E2:63:65:5F
           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power:-43 dBm   Sensitivity=1/3
           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:7465-7374-00   Security mode:open
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Key seems to be 40 bits long. In either case, shouldn't even a 40-bit
client support connections to an open AP?

iwlist wlan0 key output on the server is:
wlan0     2 key sizes : 40, 104bits
           4 keys available :
                 [1]: 7465-7374-00 (40 bits)
                 [2]: off
                 [3]: off
                 [4]: off
           Current Transmit Key: [1]
           Security mode:open

iwlist eth1 output on the client is:
wlan0     2 key sizes : 40, 104bits
           4 keys available :
                 [1]: off
                 [2]: off
                 [3]: off
                 [4]: off
           Current Transmit Key: [1]

The server has wireless extenstions v16 for both driver and utilities,
the client has v15 for both. However, the windows client doesn't work
either, and is using the latest drivers from SMC and the latest firmware
  the card supports (1.4.9).
Thank you for the help. Any other ideas as to what could be going wrong?
Thanks,
David