Open WEP Mode and SMC 2532

Pavel Roskin proski
Wed Jul 23 20:09:38 PDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, David Levitan wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I've tried the
> latest CVS and putting in a hex code key, but haven't had any luck. Does
> anyone have any idea why I can't set the card to open wep mode?

Please don't toppost.  It make it hard to quote your posts.

Also, some output would be more helpful than your interpretation.  Can it
be that the "hostap_crypt_wep" is not loaded?  What does "lsmod" show?

Maybe you have some errors in the kernel log.  Use dmesg to check.

Maybe the key is interpreted as a 104-bit long, and Orinoco Silver doesn't
support it.  It's not likely, but you can check by running "iwlist wlan0
key".

Maybe the Orinoco card also has a key set at startup.  You can check it by
"iwlist eth0 key" on the station side and turn it off by "iwconfig eth0
key off".  That's the most likely reason.

Maybe you have an old version of wireless tools or they were compiled
against an old kernel.  Use "iwconfig --version" to find out.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin