Open WEP Mode and SMC 2532

Pavel Roskin proski
Thu Jul 24 09:45:37 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, David Levitan wrote:

> hostap_crypt and hostap_crypt_wep are working. If I put the key in on
> the client, it works without a problem.

OK, I confirm the problem.  Firmware 1.7.4, CVS HostAP on the AP side.
Firmware 1.4.9, CVS orinoco_cs on the STA side.  The WEP key is set on the
AP side to 7465-7374-00.  The station has no key.  It associates, but no
traffic comes through.  Changing host_decrypt and host_encrypt to 1 on the
AP side makes no difference.  Setting the key in the STA side makes ping
possible.

Exactly the same happens in the station uses HostAP in the managed mode
and firmware 1.7.1.

But from reading part 8.1.1 in the 802.11 specification it appears that
open system authentication doesn't regulate how the data is encrypted for
the station without the WEP key.  It only says that the station can be
authenticated without knowing the WEP key.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin